Rapid development cycle for Milestone video management software will now enable nimble response to changing market needs. New features aid fast system deployment and enhanced daily operations with a networked and mobile mindset.
Partners’ needs are in focus
The fast-paced changes in our world make short product development cycles a necessity. In response to feedback from the Milestone partner community, extensive enhancements have been made to XProtect software to allow for frequent product releases. Three core VMS product releases will be delivered every year in addition to the bi-monthly device pack releases for supporting third-party cameras. The multiple yearly release schedule will ensure that Milestone can rapidly respond to market demands, with a more frequent timetable enabling implementation of new features and enhancements to existing product capabilities within a very short lead time. The XProtect 2016 release is the largest-ever development effort for Milestone.
Milestone has also created new beta-lab testing for Milestone Solution Partners (MSPs). This gives developers a first look at new integration options, new features in the VMS product suite and the possibility to engage directly with the Milestone development teams. This feedback contributes to further enhance the VMS and MSP integrations.
“We are really excited to put even more focus on our open platform development partners, as we transition our product development to a partner and market-driven process,” says Bjørn Eilertsen, Vice President of Corporate Products at Milestone Systems.
In control like never before
In continuation of Milestone’s ongoing commitment to maximize the business value of video management systems for partners and customers, the theme of XProtect 2016 is ‘In control like never before’. This highlights the partner and end user focus in this release.
The user benefits:
- Improved System Performance – Hardware decoding with XProtect 2016 enables use of the latest 4K/UHD camera technology and improves video rendering performance dramatically. An extended system monitor gives real-time overview of system status to enable proactive service. New functions let users move devices between servers for seamless system expansions.
- Optimized Incident Handling – Rich Smart Wall content from alarms, images, bookmarks, maps and more improve incident response time and operational focus. XProtect 2016 is introducing Push Notification that notifies a remote user of an alarm (including instructions and video). Video can also be pushed from the mobile device’s own camera to XProtect, to share and document incidents wherever they are.
- Video Enablement – Milestone XProtect LPR and XProtect Access (formerly called XProtect Access Control Module) have been further improved. XProtect Transact 2016 for retail solutions has been further integrated with the XProtect Smart Client to make investigation of incidents more efficient.
- Improved deployment and customer operations – License handling has been simplified to facilitate faster installation and easier updates. Off-line systems now have far more elasticity in licensing without needing to be online. Smart Connect makes it easy to set up mobile users. The Customer Dashboard online remote system monitoring enables proactive service by Milestone partners to ensure optimum operations, and this has been extended in XProtect 2016 with the ability to document maintenance history and system performance.
Start simple, grow fast
Because the Milestone VMS is based on open platform architecture with a focus on distributed systems, the capacity of a Milestone-based video system can be extended to cover thousands of cameras. Milestone Interconnect enables XProtect systems and Milestone Husky network video recorders be networked to form robust and reliable infrastructures. The user is able to start with a small stand-alone system and expand capacities as needed, seamlessly.
“The numerous enhancements to XProtect 2016 let users harvest all the benefits of an easy-to-use, efficient video system that is able to upgrade for any future needs,” says Janne Jacobsen, Vice President of Professional Products at Milestone Systems.
Putting the user in control with enhanced clients
The need for operators to assess and respond to incidents quickly is the reason behind the design for the next generation of Milestone XProtect clients and Smart Wall. The aim is to provide better operational focus with the ability to show information augmenting the video, and to give more control functions and flexible display.
- The XProtect Smart Wall 2016 client shows multiple video feeds, interactive maps, alarms and text messages for vastly improved situational awareness.
- The XProtect Web Client has been updated to do investigations and export multiple camera recordings allowing access to the VMS from any supported browser.
- The new version of Milestone Mobile offers a straightforward set-up process through the Milestone Smart Connect online service. This makes it possible for Milestone partners to effortlessly implement mobile solutions.
A close partnership with Intel has made hardware acceleration a part of the XProtect Smart Client and XProtect Smart Wall, lessening the system load. Processor load for rendering can be reduced by up to 75 percent utilizing the Intel Quick Connect Video technology in newer Intel processors. This can save on hardware investments, while providing a far smoother video presentation.
ONVIF Bridge – proof of true openness
As one of the first VMS vendors, Milestone is introducing an open ONVIF interface to access cameras and recordings in XProtect VMS and Milestone Husky systems. ONVIF Bridge makes an XProtect system look like a collection of ONVIF cameras to another VMS. This gives seamless private-to-public video integration, simplifying large-scale, multi-vendor security deployments. The ONVIF Bridge gives a standardized interface for alarm centers and monitoring stations for a unified operator experience across systems. This is another confirmation of the power of true open platform technology.
Milestone dedicated to partner community
As the XProtect 2016 suite of products is being launched, Milestone is busy preparing the next release coming in the first half of 2016, and a new Device Pack for supported hardware will be released in February.
“We have strengthened our open platform technology and show market leadership with features like the ONVIF Bridge and two-way push in mobile clients. We are demonstrating to our partner community that they are an integral part of the Milestone experience, enabling our mutual customers to freely choose the best hardware, the best applications and the best partners for their needs,” says Bjørn Eilertsen, Vice President of Corporate Products at Milestone Systems.
- Product Sheets
- Pictures of Bjørn Eilertsen
- Pictures of Janne Jacobsen
- Context pictures
- Logos and graphics
- YouTube: XProtect 2016 launch video
- More information – XProtect 2016 launch page
For more news and viewpoints visit our microsite – The Milestone Post